Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rural Adolescence


Wordle 59
Here's what came out of these words
crumple chisel draw edge pierce beat bruise crouch burst glow split crash

Rural Adolescence

Where the track split
You could choose
The long
Or the short cut.

Walking to the village
In the after glow
Of sunset
I chose the long.

To linger in the beech trees
Where goblins crouch
In the bracken;
Bitter bruised fronds.

Sweet honeysuckle, moss, lichen.
Their smells pierce
The senses,
Draw me on.


Along the edge of Loch Cuan.
An oyster catcher splits the silence
I walk
My heart expands

I reach the village in darkness
And burst in the pub
So thirsty
I drink a pint down.

The return journey much later
Is chiselled in my mind.
The short cut.
At least a hundred times

Winding, staggering, running scared
Of owls and trees and crashing bears
Ditch-drawn.
Crumpled, bed-blessed. Home.

6 comments:

  1. An interesting journey; I got so caught up, I forgot you were wordling ... well done.

    http://leapinelephants.blogspot.ca/2012/06/deep-tissue-bruising.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica, in looking at your blog, I see you have just begun this phase of your journey. Continue to write pieces such as this and you will be "well-traveled" in no time, and your travel-blog will overflow with your brilliance. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, the long journey and the short. Very descriptive, using all senses/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did with the wordle. The last stanza in particular is wonderful in how it flows and the words stumble quickly against each other. I felt the momentum in the words...if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veronica, Well done! I love the images in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is awesome. The long trip in daylight sounds gorgeous. The short trip after dark sounds pretty creepy. I love that "crumpled, bed-blessed" feeling too. I remember it well. :)

    ReplyDelete